This protein packed salad is a meal in and of itself. The mixture of vegetables, fruit, nuts, quinoa and black beans culminates in a dish that hits every level of food chart, in a way that would make dieticians smile. The flavor of walnuts also compliments the inherent nuttiness of the South American grain, and adding a creamy texture in every bite.
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/2 sweet white onion, minced
- 1 cup walnuts
- ½ English cucumber, chopped
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbl balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tbl olive oil
- 2 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp coarse ground black pepper
- salt, to taste
- Toss all the salad ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add the dressing ingredients to a blender and puree until smooth. Drizzle over the salad.
- Insert the salad in to the fridge to chill until serving. Add a chicken breast or grilled fillet over top of the salad for a variation on the simple dish.