Get Safe: 5 Health Hazards that Could Be Hiding In Your Home

By  |  1 Comment

House dust mite - Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus

A home is meant to be a place of safety and comfort, but it is all too unfortunate that there are a number of serious health hazards residing in many houses. With a close look at these five potential hazards, however, home owners can keep themselves and their family as safe as possible, dramatically reducing the chance of health problems resulting from unhealthy or environmentally damaging situations.

1. Carbon Monoxide

There are small amounts of carbon monoxide in every single breath that a human takes, but levels that are slightly higher than usual can lead to serious injuries and death with over 500 deaths chalked up to carbon monoxide every single year. This is mostly due to products that use natural gases but do not seal properly. Get a carbon monoxide detector that sounds an alarm when carbon monoxide levels are at dangerous levels. Because carbon monoxide is odorless, you can get carbon monoxide poisoning without even knowing.  A detector can keep you and your family safe from carbon monoxide poisoning.

2. Dust Mites

Dust mites can thrive in almost any condition and are linked to a wide array of serious medical side effects ranging from rashes to asthma. Dust mites are most often found in old and unused clothing, bedding, and fabric toys. Each of these items should be cleaned regularly with extremely hot water and a powerful anti-bacterial detergent or soap.

3. Mold

Depending on one’s environment, mold particles can begin to thrive in almost any location in as little as a few hours. This includes the ducts of one’s climate control system throughout their house. By checking these ducts or having a professional do so, home owners can ensure that they inhale a minimum amount of mold. Ductless air conditioning is another popular option that can reduce the amount of maintenance required over the years by removing a number of locations in which mold can thrive.

4. Pesticides

No one wants to live in a home with unwelcome critters, but it is all too often that the pesticides used to get rid of these creatures are more dangerous than the animals themselves. It has always been known that certain pesticides are extremely toxic, and that is why every family should explore non-toxic options. They should also follow all rules and suggestions laid out by the pest removal specialist after getting their home treated.

5. Lead

While there are tight restrictions about placing lead in many home products, countless goods still contain trace amounts of this material. From dishware to toys, lead has been attributed to a number of serious health conditions such as brain damage and high blood pressure. These side effects can be avoided by checking all labels and manufacturer information for any type of lead ingredients.

Image by Gilles San Martin

Share this Article
Share on Facebook15Tweet about this on Twitter16Share on Google+0Share on LinkedIn1Pin on Pinterest3Share on StumbleUpon0Share on Reddit0Email this to someone

  • Tammy Jean Natoli

    These are all good to know. Thank you!