Quinoa has been a staple in my cupboard, however, I am conscious of using it sparingly due to the ethical issues surrounding the grain. However, one means of spreading my small supply out is by combining it with a variety of other ingredients, especially vegetables. This is my favorite means of serving quinoa not only because of my love of salads, but also because it allows me to play the nutty flavor and fluffy texture of quinoa off of other textures and tastes. This salad can be served warm or cold, depending on when the quinoa is added to the other ingredients.
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked according to package directions
- ½ cup sunflower seeds, plus more for garnish
- ½ fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- ½ sweet onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup dried blueberries
- 1 cup spinach
- 2 tbl grapeseed oil
- 3 tbl balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tbl sugar
- Blend together the ingredients for the vinaigrette until smooth.
- Toss the quinoa, sunflower seeds, fennel, onion, blueberries and spinach together in a large bowl. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the mixture and toss again to evenly coat the ingredients. Serve right away.
Total Fat: 18g